Zum Weissen Kreuz

After arriving in Zurich in 1915, Joyce attended the “Club des Etrangers” here. He found a number of English pupils, some of whom also became friends. At the time, the restaurant was at Seefeldstrasse 5. In ca. 1919, it moved to Falkenstrasse 27.
Bahnhofstrasse

“Bahnhofstrasse,” a poem written in 1918, after Joyce had had an attack of glaucoma in Bahnhofstrasse. The poem first appeared in a journal and was later republished in Pomes Penyeach (1927).
Kaufleuten

Joyce was a member of The English Players, who performed The Importance of Being Earnest at the Kaufleuten in 1918. The production was well received but led to a legal conflict between Joyce and a fellow member of the group.
Café-Restaurant Pfauen

Meeting place with Budgen during World War I where Joyce often drank Fendant white wine. (A peacock sign is all that remains of the inn from Joyce’s time. The interior has been completely renovated.)
Kronenhalle Restaurant

A restaurant patronized by Joyce in the 1930s. The Kronenhalle owners generously supported Nora Joyce in the years after Joyce died. The restaurant still exists today.
Platzspitz

Meeting of the two rivers Limmat and Sihl and also the name of a park behind the main station. It is the site of a series of well-known Joyce photographs taken in 1938.
Statue of Frank Budgen

Frank Budgen’s The Making of Ulysses is an account of his friendship with Joyce. The statue of Budgen can be found at Amtshäuser, Uraniastrasse 9 and was made by August Suter, a Swiss sculptor and friend of both Joyce and Budgen.
Liebfrauenkirche

The Liebfrauenkirche was where Joyce used to attend Good Friday Services. It was built from 1892 to 1894 and is located at Weinbergstrasse 32 (tram 7, 15 and 10 “Haldenegg”).
James Joyce Restaurant & Bar

The interior originally graced the Antique Bar of Jury’s Hotel in Dame Street, Dublin. When the hotel closed in the early 1970s, the interior was dismantled and put up for auction. The new restaurant at Pelikanstrasse 6 opened in 1978.